News

  • News
  • COVID-19 Update | 1900hrs 12 July 2021

COVID-19 Update | 1900hrs 12 July 2021

COVID-19 Update | 1900hrs 12 July 2021
Dream Andrea Francolini

COVID-19 Update | 1900hrs 12 July 2021

The CYCA has been closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation in NSW, particularly Sydney.

The situation is fluid, and planning for our races, particularly the upcoming Noakes Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race (SGCYR) and Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore (BWPS) schedule, is made difficult due to the Pandemic worsening in Greater Sydney. The outbreak has occurred during the immediate lead up to one of the Club’s most important events. We thank our entrants for their understanding as the Club considers all options.

Having analysed information regarding the listing and delisting of hotspots, it is thought that it is unlikely that we will be able to race to the Gold Coast in the next month and it is also possible that we may be precluded from conducting the alternate NSW course included in the Notice of Race. 

As our competitors would expect, the Club will endeavour to schedule the program when we are able to do so.

The Club is considering postponing the Noakes SGCYR to one of the currently scheduled dates for the Audi Centre Sydney BlWPS. We are also considering amending the race schedule of the Audi Centre Sydney BWPS to include a NSW Cat 2 race in August. Such arrangements will be made only if NSW Health orders are able to be observed.

We are mindful that some teams entered in the Audi Centre Sydney BWPS and Noakes SGCYR may be still considering options if Queensland becomes available, including Brisbane Hamilton Island, Airlie Race Week and Hamilton Island Race Week. If these events are available to our NSW entrants, the CYCA will endeavour not to conflict with these regattas. However, if the Qld border is closed, which would seem likely,  then a race within NSW waters could be an option.

The CYCA will keep the fleet informed as the options for races evolve and is mindful of sufficient lead-up.